Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Portable Mic Stand

Trying to work while traveling, you are always (I'm sure it's not just me) inventing a better mouse trap of functional production tools. In this case I was trying to make a light weight, collapsible mic stand that would easily fit into my brief case which also holds the Digidesign Mbox2 AD/DA converter/preamp, a large diaphragm condenser microphone, an sm 57 Sure mic, the cables for both, pop guard, and USB cable for the Mbox2.

I'm using 3/4" PVC pipe, cutting 2 16"(the length of the inside of the briefcase), 4 8", and 2 4" pieces, with locking pruning sheers .


Building the base.



You can see here, I used three T pieces, one connector piece, and four caps on the base legs for stability.

The mic base stands in a connector piece at the top of the pipe.

My Parent's walk in closet. The quietest place in the house.



I also made a stereo mic set up that attaches to the top. I don't have a picture but I may put one up later.
At the end of the night I recorded two pieces for the TV show I'm doing. Which I will start posting music from soon.

No comments: